Friday, September 7, 2007

Akwaaba!

I made it! Both of my flights were on time so it took 21 hours (including a three hour break in London to visit with my friend, Andrew). We were supposed to leave for Kumasi this morning, but one piece of my checked luggage didn't make it last night so we have to stay in Accra and wait for it to come in tonight.
The first song I heard in the taxi on the way to the hotel last night was Britney Spears' "hit me baby one more time" and that's how I knew I must be in a very foreign country...

Accra is a neat city. There is a great dichotomy between the new SUVs on the road and people pulling carts full of crops on the side. There are big, modern-looking buildings adjacent to run-down marketplaces. All the people seem very kind so far. I enjoy the city, but I am excited to see what my own town is like!

I can't post pictures yet, but hopefully I will be able to do that next time I get online.

It is very exciting to be here, but I definitly miss you all. Hope to hear from you soon.

1 comment:

Mom said...

So happy you have arrived safely. I am excited to see photos and hear all the details.
Love ya
Mom