Monday, September 10, 2007

A few things I have learned

I have a lot to say today, so I'm going to put up two posts. Here are a few observations or facts I have learned since being in Ghana:

-The most common way to purchase water is in a sealed, clear, plastic bag. It costs about 40 pesawas (less than 40 cents) and to drink it, you simply bite off a corner and squeeze it into your mouth.
-Never whistle in the evening in Ghana- they believe it calls up the snakes and Ghanians definitly don't appreciate it
-Kumasi is home to the largest market in western Africa. We went there on the slowest day, and it was completely overwhelming- there are no words to describe it properly.
-Never give or recieve anything with your left hand in Ghana-it is reserved for unsanitary things, and it is considered very rude to use it otherwise.
-I have not seen a single Ghanian carrying, selling, or smoking cigarettes.
-I am hungry most of the time. Every morning for breakfast we have had bread and hot tea. Lunch is 6 hours later, and is a rice dish. Dinner we have eaten in restaurants so far. This may change as I begin eating with my host family this afternoon.
-Ghana is in the midst of a currency change. Right now (until January) both old and new are in circulation so it is quite confusing. But in either currency, everything is extremely cheap. 1 ghanian cedi (a little less than $1 USD) is too much to cary- most vendors have a hard time giving change for that much.
-pictures may be very difficult to post- the computers are so old many of them do not have USB ports; I am still working on this.
-And finally, this is going to be an extremely challenging adventure! I have only just visited the orphanage but my heart was wrenched and my patience tested. More about that in the next blog.

1 comment:

Bailey Thomson said...

The same is true in Morocco- no left hand usage of any kind. I love you and miss you! Big Bailey