Friday, September 14, 2007

Well, I survived my first week in Mampong. I am really struggling with what to post; I want to tell you everything because everything is new and different! And before I forget, here is my mailing address if you feel the need to send me anything:


Richard Frimpong

Box 367

Mampong, Ash

West Ghana

AFRICA


I will start with some basics. I eat a lot of bread (perhaps breadsticks from Olive Garden was not a smart last meal in the states...?!) Breakfast is bread and tea, lunch is bread and fruit. Dinner is usually rice or noodles or yams (like potatoes) with a vegetable or meat sauce or concoction of some variety. The jar of peanut butter I brought is definitly getting good use already. I am hoping to find some jams this weekend to make the bread a bit more exciting.


The official language in Ghana is English. Everything else, therefore, is called a "dialect". the dialect in this area is Twi. I would call it more of a foriegn language than a dialect....I can't understand a word of it. I am getting some books to try and learn it, it is difficult not to understand what most people are saying. Anybody with an education can also speak English, but it is not their first language, and not many people are educated (including those who work at the babies home). It would also be nice to be able to communicate with the children better.


Wednesday is market day in Mampong. If it works, there should be a picture here of the market. It is a great experience (much more calm in Mampong than in Kumasi) and things are very cheap!


I live for about 2 dollars a day- that pays for lunch and water and sometimes a snack in the afternoon. A tro-tro (vaguely defined as any vehicle moving between towns stuffed with as many people as possible for a very cheap price) from Kumasi to Mampong is about 85 cents. It takes an hour.


My family is very nice. They seem to be very well off, with running water and TVs. There are always lots of people in the house, and the tv is Always on! Again if it works, here is a picture of Richard (dad), Mavis (mom) and Rejoice (2 year old daughter).


In Twi, which day of the week you are born is very important. They actually give you a name depending on your day. Everyone asks me, so if anybody knows what day of the week I was born, could you please let me know...I look foolish when I don't know the answer!


The babies home definitly needs help, but I have not decided on an exact project yet. There is a small school for the older children with no books in it, so that might be an option. However I have seen that mostof what is donated to the home goes in closets and is never used, so I want to make sure whatever I contribute gets use! I will keep you posted on what I decide to do.


That is all for now! I hope the pictures work.

7 comments:

Lapsarian said...

Wednesday. (Sorry mom and dad Chandler, beat y'all to it). I love the Internet.

Unknown said...

hey becca! woaw, i am sending you patience and lots of various dishes for you to recharge batteries. I am glad to read how it goes. And that it all sounds rather good to me. :) the photo of the family worked but not the one of the market. just for you to know.
Lots of love!!!

Mom said...

Yes, Becca, you were born on a Wednesday. I know because I was there!! Let me know what it means when your birthday is Wednesday. I am enjoying learning about your life and all the challenges, joys you experience. Let us know about the weather.
Until next blog...Love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Becca,Zoli & I sent you a 12 lb package of food items by US Express mail that you should recieve on Friday, September22.We hope it arrives OK. We love you. MaMa Jack

BP said...

I just saw Over the Hedge for the first time this week and it made me really miss you, because the last time that I had heard anything about it was when we were driving to WVA for your BDay way back when, and you were stoked to hear the new Ben Folds tracks. (Which were awesome by the way, though not so new anymore). But even though we're missing you here in the states, you're personalizing a story that I only knew from a distance, and I take great comfort in knowing that the youngest of your new neighbors are already benefitting from your attention, care, and guidance.
L, Brian

Jane LL said...

More news, like you asked for (ok, you really want food, but 12 pounds from MamaJack should last a few days, so news it is). Brittany and Heather played their first and last game against each other at Va Tech. Elon made a good showing and Brittany took the first good shot, but Heather got an assist on the first of three goals by Tech. Heather was the featured senior in the game program - in her profile, she answered various questions including who would she most like to have lunch with - she said Hugh Grant, Michelle Akers, and Drew Llewellyn. First time we have cried over a soccer game program. Ben's team won in rugby again, and Westbrook went to playschool for his first day, with turtle backpack and monkey lunchbox. Still no little sister Llandis, but won't be long. I am going to Australia in November - did you leave anything I can bring back?
As to the Twi language, Wikipedia has useful info like "Before front vowels, all consonants are palatalized and plosives are affricated". Hope that helps. Would you rather have a book?
Boxley

Bailey Thomson said...

hope you won't end up getting sick the way i spent most of morocco. food's definitely a tricky situation for adjusting stomachs.

miss and love you!
bailey