Monday, September 10, 2007

Finally in Mampong

First, I would like to share a first-time experience: I have not seen another American since I got onto the plane to Accra in London. In all of the traveling I have done, I have never been the only American, no matter how remote or how small the group. The other volunteers with child aid right now include 3 from Holland and 2 from Tasmania. The 6 of us are the only white people I have seen since arriving in Accra. Incredible.

I feel like I have been in Ghana for a long time. It turns out it just takes a long time to get places. So far I have had too much down time, but that is due to change very shortly. Finally I have reached Mampong, the town in which I will live for the next 8 months. I am with a girl from Holland, who will live and work with me for the next 2 months. We arrived by tro-tro (basically any vehicle that will transport as many people as can fit in it) The first stop was the host family. I met Richard, the dad, Mavis, the mom, and Rejoice, the 2 year old daughter. There are others that live there, but they were out working. I have my own room, which has a bed and dresser in it, and share a bathroom with the house. There is a toilet (that flushes!) and a bucket next to a drain for a shower. The family seems to be pretty well off- they have a rug in the main room and a small TV.

The next stop was the orphanage. And here I lose the ability to properly describe what I see. There are 39 kids there right now, ranging from 2 months to 4 years. This is a babies home, so once the children reach 4, they must go elsewhere. We arrived at changing time in the younger house, where 20 or so infants and toddlers were running around with no pants on... The older children go to "school", really another building to occupy them during the day. There are 2 teachers and a volunteer in this room. The kids were completely wild, and extremely attention-deprived. The jumped on us, pulled on us, hugged us, and just touched us the entire time we were in the room. The clothes ranged from a dress with no buttons (and nothing else) to pants and a shirt and maybe a pair of shoes.

I will start out working in the house of smaller children- helping with bathing, feeding, playing, loving, and putting to bed. I work from 7:30-12:30 when I go home for lunch, and return to work 3:30-7:30. That is all I can say about it so far, I will have digest some to try to properly describe it.

Feel free to leave comments or questions- I find it is quicker to get to my blog than to my email (it only took 4 minutes to load instead of 6) And let me know news of home, I am VERY disconnected!

7 comments:

Jane LL said...

WOW Becca - While reading your post I was trying to picture what you are living. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, heart-wrenching is probably an understandment. The kids are very lucky you are there. I'm sure their smiles will allow you to handle anything. Enjoy. Keep those updates coming!!!

Dad said...

We are missing you a bunch here. As I recall the elevator speach snippet on why you chose this endeavor, it seems by your experience so far that you nailed it.

Love, Dad

Mom said...

I have tears thinking of you and the circumstance, and joy thinking of the children that will benefit from your care and love.
Stay healthy!
Love, Mom

Jane LL said...

Boxley here - you asked for news - Still no Llandis Cox, but she should arrive the first week of October...if you can reach Mary's blog, you will have all the Llewellyn news. Drew's memorial at the Y is awesome - just perfect. He now has a tree in the mountains of California, a hedge in Manakin-Sabot, a prayer on Killamenjaro, and a shelter in Charlotte. Let us know what would go well in Mampong, and how to mail it (something smaller than a shelter, please). I am guessing you didn't bring your harp, so I look forward to how you approach music on your stay - after the Brittany Spears comment, you probably don't want a boombox (and speaking of Brittany, she bombed bigtime on MTV Music Awards, so don't expect to hear her much more, there or here). Ben says hello - his rugby team played in Manassas this weekend so we went along - he can still walk and think, which is a good result. We go to see Brittany(the talented one, not the one on MTV) play Heather (equally talented) in soccer next weekend. (is this too much news?)
Lessons for survival in foreign lands: Starbucks is too expensive everywhere including Mampong, carry more than a dollar at all times regardless of what the locals say (but don't tell them) in case the only place open is Starbucks, and write your mother. It's worked for me in 28 countries!

Unknown said...

Becca...I will truely enjoy your experience vicariously! I know my heart would break if I were there.
Ponder how you will leave your mark in that place.
Take care - Love you! Norma

Melissa and Dan said...

Becca-Glad to hear you arrived safely. My heart breaks for the babies there!!! I am so glad they have you to take care of them. Love your blog and look forward to reading more about your experiance there. Melissa, Dan & Dylan

jhank said...

Becca: I too can relate to a heart wrenching experience of an orphanage. On my mission trip to Jamaica I visited an orphanage that was made up of physically and mentally challenged babies and toddlers. In Jamaica if a child is born with the slightest handicap the parents abandon them in the hospital (which is legal there) and they become wards of the state. The orphanage stirred a range of emotions in me I had never experienced. While my trip was brief it has stayed with me as I am sure your experience will stay with you. Be the beacon of hope and grace for these children. We love you! The Newport News Hankins