Friday, September 28, 2007

A day in the life...

Each morning I am awakened sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 by roosters, music, yelling, thunder, my host family, or all of the above. Being the great sleeper I am, however, I usually manage to stay in bed until 7:00. Here is my room:

Froukje and I eat breakfast together then head off to the babies home. It is about a 10 minute walk on this road:
On the way home in the afternoon, we stop and buy bread and fruit for lunch (which we eat with peanut butter and jam or honey). After resting (usually waiting for the rain to stop) we walk to town, about a 25 minute walk, or a 20 cent taxi ride. We head back to the Babies home for the afternoon shift between 3:30 and 4:00 and must leave again by 6:00 to make it home by dark. And when I say dark, I mean REALLY dark. Our family provides dinner for us, and we spend the rest of the evening reading, learning Twi and watching TV (if the power is on). I am usually asleep again by 9:30.

Here is my house:

It has both electricity and running water...Sometimes. The power shuts off at least once a day, usually for hours, and sometimes doesn't come back on until the next morning. Running water is even less dependable. When it works, we have a bathroom with a sink, flushing toilet, and a working bathtub. When it doesn't, we have a bathroom with a bowl, a broken toilet, and a bucket of water to bathe. Sometimes it's just easier to shower outside.

This picture (that's Froukje with me, by the way) was taken after we had walked home and got caught in the rain, so we grabbed the soap and showered outside. I think it was the cleanest I've been in a month...

It rains a lot- usually twice a day. When it rains, it pours, and everything floods. This is the street to our house in a daily rainstorm.
Needless to say, my shoes have taken on a pretty serious mud-red tint.

One of the best things about traveling by bus in this country is that you can do all of your daily shopping out of the bus window.
It is possible to buy anything from fruit, bread, corn, and water to toilet paper, toothpaste, belts, and soap. And everything in between. It is incredible to watch these women (almost always women) carry buckets of drinks on their heads and a baby on their backs, making transactions through a window above their heads as the bus pulls away.

Some people have asked about religion in Ghana. It is primarily Christian, with a strong Muslim influence in the north. Mampong is almost entirely Christian, mostly Baptist, Presbyterian, and Charismatic (which is what my family is). I attended part of a Baptist service in Kumasi the first weekend I was here, which was conducted in Twi (so I understood none of it). I have not yet gone to church with my family because we have been traveling every weekend, but I definitely want to do that soon.

Thanks for all the comments!

5 comments:

BP said...

Sounds like you're settling into your routine nicely. All the time outside sounds awesome, and the evenings without power sound like a good time too. Remind me of camping.
Miss you. Brian.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience. I love the "bus shopping" photo!

Dad said...

Do you regularly see any strange critters such as snakes, mosquitos the size of woodpeckers, creatures from the black lagoon?

Love, Dad

Jane LL said...

Boxley here again...news first, and then Twi training.

The drought has turned Charlotte brown, so enjoy your daily rains - the only green around here is the grass growing in the mud that used to be Lake Norman. Nationally, the politicians have spent another $100M campaigning for president, but then someone told them the election is not this November but next year - wow, were they ever embarassed. In sports, the Cubs are in the...oh, you don't care. UR won its last football game in case you don't get the games on your local TV station. Otherwise, it's a slow news day.

On to Twi...the book came in. Twi is a cool language. The grammar was first published in Copenhagen in 1764, and amazon.com had copies the next week. I hope your book is simpler than mine - mine actually comes from the US State Department - folks in the government must be smarter than I am, cuz it is complicated. Tone is important - with lots of tone terracing to distinguish words and show emotion, it seems. Some symbols are not on my keyboard, so I will have to fake a few.

Anyway, if I was in Ghana, I would make sure I know these five phrases before long trips:

Yefere me Boxley. Ehefa na yenkodidi? Ma yenko afei Starbucks. Medi fufuo ckyena. Enti ma yenni pizza nne.

Do you have a book yet? I could mail this one... it is papapapa.

Mom said...

Since you have always LOVED thunderstorms, surely you are enjoying these, even though the rain is turning your shoes a lovely shade of orange! News from home: Meem and I had a lovely trip to the West Coast, and had fun the day we fixed your goody box and figured out the best way to get mail to Ghana. The post office clerk didn't even flinch when I said Ghana, just asked what country that was!!

Richmond is having those beautiful fall days that you like, the days where you would spend hours outside or at the river.

Please send more Day in the Life blogs. I love all your news and photos and want to know more. Let us hear more about the babies, and how they are responding to you.
Love you,
Mom