Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas, Ghana style

Well that was certainly a memorable, if not very exciting, Christmas. Here's the rundown. The night of the 24th, Richard stepped out the back door, cut down three tree branches, stuck them in a jug and called it a Christmas tree. We decorated it with some balloons we found and 6 minutes later, the decorations were complete (Mom, that's about how long it took you too, right?). On the morning of the 25th, we discovered that Santa had delivered gifts from America! (Somehow, he got hold of John's stinky old sneakers and used them as stockings)



One of my gifts was beignet mix (for those non-Chandlers out there, it a seriously important culinary Christmas tradition), which was a very exciting surprise. So I taught John and Mavis how to make them, and got to share a Chandler tradition with my adopted family in Ghana. A very cool experience.

Then we sat around and complained about being too full....for most of the rest of the day. We exchanged presents with our family- they gave Mo and I dresses and John and shirt, all hand-made. We gave Mavis jewlery and a hand-carved comb, Richard a framed pictures of his family, Rejoice a bracelet and waist beads, and the new baby (due in February) beads as well.

At about 4:30, we ate our big Christmas meal- Fufuo and stew with goat meat. It was delicious, but didn't quite taste like ham and turkey and chocolate pie.



The 26th is also a holiday in Ghana, as well as market day this year (every Wednesday in Mampong). So we spent a few hours in town and at the market, then headed up to the babies home to check on all the kids. We were shocked when we walked through the gate to loud music and laughter- it turns out they celebrate Christmas every year on the 26th with a festival, including community children and their families. It was so great to see. The kids got juice and cookies, there was lots of music and dancing, and classic festival games like musical chairs and tug-of-war. I must say I was very excited to see the children out in their best having a good time playing with toys and other children.



The next morning we left for Accra with ALL of our belongings. I'm sure the sight of us navigating the tro-tro stations each carrying 3 bags was quite humorous to whomever was watching. Today was Mo's last day in Ghana and she declared that she wanted to spend it on the beach. So we awoke this morning, packed up, and headed to Baja beach just outside Accra for a wonderful day of swimming and relaxing.

We are just now about to take Mo to the airport, and I just don't like it! Ghana in my mind includes Mo and I know it will be such a different experience without her here. I could not have been more fortunate to be placed with her those many months ago- I have absolutely found a life-long friend and travelling companion!



And with that, I must sign off. I'm sorry the pictures are not loading today; I'm not sure why. I will try to add them next time. What was the most memorable part of your Christmas?

2 comments:

Mo said...

Hi Sister!
I miss you! Holland is way to cold! I'm sick already... I think it's time to go back. But I need a sponsor first. So I think I have to read your blog instead.
Have fun in Ethiopia!
Mo

Jane LL said...

Boxley here.

Glad you had a special Christmas. After very consistent holidays for 50 or so years, Australia taught us how much occasional change is good, and how much it also made us miss the traditions (but a sunny summer day WAS kinda nice). Glad you had a mix of traditions and very new experiences.

The other observation you made matches well with our experiences, too. Places are often more about the people than the place. Mountains and vineyards and monkeys are great, but a place is so often about the people you see it with. Some of my 25 visited countries (like Australia and England and New Zealand) are more special because we can still talk to the people who saw them with us.

The Llewellyns had a great Christmas, but we are tired. Three kids under two years old in the house can keep lots of adults busy...three monkeys might be easier.

PS. Your Mom did spend more than a few hours decorating - we, on the other hand, farmed it out to Mary and Wade.