Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I left Tafi Atome last Thursday morning with a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I spent the last week there making sure I had everyone's information, feeding the monkeys at every opportunity, and playing with the kids as much as I could. As I left, I really felt like I had tied up all the loose ends, and was ready to take the next step, but it was still hard!

The hardest moment of all was when I said goodbye to my sweet little girl Patience. She is 6 years old, full of life, and extremely smart. She is a single child, with a single mother who runs a shop. She rarely goes to play with the other children; she must tend to the shop and help her mom by going to the market and fetching water (yes, at 6 years old). Just about every day, I would spend at least an hour sitting and talking with her in front of the shop. Though she spoke very little English, we were able to communicate easily enough, mostly through games and laughing, and she quickly memorized any English word I gave her. She was always smiling and excited to see me.

When I went to say goodbye to her on Thursday morning, she was sitting in a corner, looking very sad. I made a funny face at her and told her to come to me. She did, but did not smile and run to me like she usually did. I picked her up and hugged her, and I could tell she was trying not to cry. I told her not to worry, that I would come back, and she just hugged me again. Though we do not speak the same language, 'goodbyes' are universal, and this one was really tough!

I could really tell the community appreciated my being there with their graciousness when I left. The orphanage gave me a going away 'party' with soda and crackers for the children, and personalized kente cloth and a necklace symbolizing unity for me. The committee gave me an outfit hand made out of 'Tafi Atome' cloth. The community gave me my fare to Accra and poured libations (basically that means they said a prayer then passed the gin bottle) for my safe travel and return home. Patrick's mother made necklaces for myself and Mama Jack (Patrick is the student my Grandmother is sponsoring through University). Sylvester gave me beautiful fabric, and Foster gave me a kente bag. I was completely overwhelmed. And now my suitcase is certainly full!!

Next time I write to you, I will be in the land of bright lights and expensive beer.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Becca:

Glad to hear that things wound down so well in Africa. The blog was a great success...but now we want to hear you in person. So come home! Tomorrow is the first day of spring and the weather is cooperating. See you soon in VA.

-Nathan

Mo said...

So you left the monkeys behind with a belly like ours? :-)
Owh and little Patience, with her beautifull smile. That must have been really hard for you both!
Well, enjoy the fufu and the gin while you still can... You'll be eating and drinking something else in Europe :-) .
Mo

Mom said...

Your written words are beautiful, and your stories will stay with me forever.

Now, I am ready for those stories in person.

I write this with tears for you and for those you have left behind, though I know your leaving will not be forever.

Love,
Mom

BP said...

Patience sounds adorable.