Tuesday, March 25, 2008

change of scenery...

I recently went from living on about $5 a day to staying in probably the most expensive city in the world, and it has completely blown my mind. Not to mention everything else that seems strange, absurd, and/or exciting. I don’t really know how to describe what I’ve done and how I’ve felt since arriving in London 4 days ago, so I think I’ll just give you a short list of things I have observed.

-there is way too much stuff
-a burger can cost $12
-I am mesmerized by shiny things
-I haven’t warmed up since I got off the plane
-I blend in
-there is an enormous amount of selection, especially with food
-there are trash bins
-the newspaper is all about the latest robberies, murders, and car wrecks
-the internet is REALLY fast
-the food is extremely flavourful
-the toilet paper goes in the toilet, not the trash bin
-there are nice people here too
-the buildings are really tall
-cheese is delicious
-I have a very hard time making small decisions
-strangers are more respectful of your personal space
-it’s not very sunny
-I wake up earlier than most of the city
-the streets are clean

There are tons more I know, but that’s a start. It has been really great to hang out with Robin again- we realized it has been 2 _ years since we have seen each other (we studied together in Melbourne, Australia in 2005). He has done a great job in helping me to adjust, by taking me to the most shocking places so the rest doesn’t seem so strange anymore. The first day I was here, we went to Camden- a crazy market type place with every genre of style and person represented, and on Friday night, we attended an all-night psy-trance rave where we danced for about 7 straight hours and stepped outside again after the sun came up. It was more like being on another planet than anything. The rest of the time we have spent relaxing, staying warm, and catching up.

Here is us being silly (hooray for other people with digital cameras!)


Tomorrow I head to Holland to see Mo! I have a feel it’s going to be equally shocking and even colder…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am excited that you will returning soon. I am guessing that London and Holland will help you not feel so cold once you get to Richmond! If you are lucky, and the circumstances are conducive I will wear lots of shiny things or maybe just tin foil when I see you and then you can be mesmerized by me...haha...see you soon

Mom said...

counting the days...

and counting the many smiles you will bring when you arrive on home turf.

Love you
Mom

Mo said...

Hey Becca,
I think you are on your way home right now. You must be so excited, just like your friends and family. I want to wish you a "Welcome Home" :-) .
Thanks for all the fun we had, travelbuddy!
Now go and enjoy being home and eat your travel-mix, goldfish, tootsie-rolls etc.
Hug, Mo

(Ow and don't forget to post the "I visited Mo and slept in a..." blog!!!) ;-)