Thursday, February 21, 2008

Should I stay or should I go

Some of this post may sound like I’m arguing with myself, and that’s because I probably am. I have a constant battle taking place in my mind surrounding these decisions.

I always say that I only make plans in order to change them, and it’s true. When I decided to come to Ghana and started to prepare for the trip, I never excluded the possibility that my plans would change, perhaps drastically, in the course of the trip. And they have. I was ready to come to Ghana for eight months to work in an orphanage, live with a family, and travel on my own. Instead, I serendipitously met a wonderful friend with whom I did all of my travel for 4 months (that’s you, Mo!) and somehow ended up living in a monkey sanctuary. So life is full of surprises.

I feel that, although my goals seem to change regularly, I have accomplished a lot here. I experienced life living with a ‘middle-class’ family in Ghana and the many frustrations and heartbreaks involved with working in an orphanage. Since being at the monkey sanctuary, I feel I have truly left a mark. I helped change the percentage breakdown for the sanctuary’s profits, set up a new bank account, improve daily and monthly book keeping, set up a lock box for the daily profits, paint the office, put up a bulletin board of pictures, clean the desk (twice), begin a bike rental company, send a boy to university, and begin building an orphanage school for the village. And I’m not done yet. I still have some projects I am just starting or still working on. But for the most part, I feel I have accomplished what I came here to do (even if I didn’t know what that was at the time).

The sanctuary, as an eco-tourism project, is doing very well. It has a tourism management committee that, for the most part, cares deeply for the sanctuary and understands what must happen. The guides are arguably some of the best in the country. All money that comes in and goes out is recorded daily, calculated monthly, and distributed quarterly. Staying at the sanctuary is a wonderful tourist experience, and the majority of visitors thoroughly enjoy their stay, with no complaints to mention. Most of the problems that the sanctuary must still work out are not in my control to help. As far as the business of the sanctuary, I feel a bit like my work is done.

Likewise, Madam Charity (the one who runs the orphanage in Tafi Atome as well as one in the nearby town of Logba) is incredibly organized, motivated, and devoted to this new building project. Each of our meetings consists of her telling me what she has accomplished since the last time we met (which is always something). She seems to be giving me more advice than I am giving her! Though she asked me to keep the money and pay it as we need it, I wholly trust that she would use every cent towards its intended purpose if I left it to her.

I love this village. I love the laid-back atmosphere, the location, the welcoming attitude, the children, the food, the great friends I have made, the monkeys (of course), the seclusion, the magic of a small village, sometimes I even love the crazy politics and huge amounts of dust. Some days I want to live here for as long as I can. But that is only some days. Other days I cannot seem to accomplish anything I attempt for one reason or another, no tourists visit, and I find myself wondering what I am doing here. Some mornings I wake up with an ambitious to-do list and have a productive day; other days the only item on the agenda is waiting until it’s late enough to go to sleep again. Those days are hard.

A very wise man told me recently that I need to make sure I know what my personal goals are in being here. Those are the ones that are most important. Because, and I use his words here, “everything you fix will fall apart again after you leave”. I don’t think that is entirely true, as some things that we have ‘fixed’ they would actually have to try to break again, but it is a valid point nonetheless. So I tried to think back to what my personal goals were for this trip before I left, then what they were once I got here, then once I got to the sanctuary, and what they are now. In the beginning, I know I wanted to stay long enough to call the place home, to understand the culture, to experience life like they do, to challenge myself with the absence of known commodities (like fast internet, washing machines, and hot water), and to broaden my perspective of the world (sounds vague, but it happens automatically when you travel). I have done all of this, and more.

So the punch line is this: I am coming home earlier than I originally planned. This was an incredibly difficult decision to make, and I still question it about every 10 minutes. I think part of the reason it was so difficult was because as soon as I thought I wanted to leave earlier, staying became the new personal goal, the next challenge. But the purpose would only have been to say that I had, which is never a good reason to do anything. There are a few small projects I still want to work on here, and a few people I want to visit before I go, but nothing that will take me two more months. So I have changed my plane ticket and will now return to America in the first week of April. This allows me about 3 more weeks at the sanctuary, a week to travel in Ghana, and 2 weeks in Europe to acclimatize a bit before getting back to Richmond.

So I will see you soon.

11 comments:

cmherrington said...

Woohoo!!! Welcome back Roomie! I can't wait to see you again, and I'll have the ingredients for pizzadillas all ready for you when you get here!

Krista said...

How exciting that you're returning to us earlier than anticipated. Life just hasn't been the same...we miss you. By the way. The picture of you holding the giant gum in ethiopia is a little scary.
You haven't missed much here. I went to the circus on Valentines day Chandler style so that was exciting...other that that it's pretty much been school and work...you will return having missed nothing in my life!

In two weeks, I too will be quite the world traveler. I'm going to Brazil from March 6-16 and I'm so excited! I'll tell you all about it when you come home.

I miss seeing pictures of your adventures and can't wait to hear all about it when you come home!!!!

See you in a couple of weeks!!!

P.S. Please bring me home a monkey

Katie said...

YAY!!!! Super excited. Can't wait for bakers, zuc bread and dog walks.

LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Becca, We are so happy that you are coming home . We were wshing you would be home as we are going to Double Oaks in April & we were wishing you would be there & now you will be. Maybe you can have a few days @ Va. Bch House Home with us & your friends if possible. We love you & so proud of all of your efforts. MaMa Jack & Zoli

Mo said...

Becca,
you can be proud of yourself! You did some amazing things over there and though you do not stay the 8 months you did planned to stay there, you know you are not coming back because you failed in what you wanted to achieve. You just accomplisched things earlier than you expected!
Mo

Mom said...

You have explained your goals, your work, and your reason for leaving very well.

I am happy for your life adventure and your accomplishments. Now, come home and conquer ANYTHING you decide to do.

Love always,
Mom

Bailey Thomson said...

Sounds like an incredibly difficult decision- especially to make alone in a country, that while it has become home, does not house the people you might normally go to for advice. I have been proud to call you a friend and role model for many, many years, and this entry only strengthens that pride.

That said, I have made some very hard decisions recently- and am in the midst of more- and have missed having you as a close resource to give me perspective. I will definitely look forward to limeade and grilled cheese at Phil's (and pottery painting?)later this spring.

I think you're really incredible. Enjoy your last month!

Love you very much,
Bailey

Jane LL said...

Boxley here...it's been a slow news year, so I haven't been commenting for a while. It's great you have combined adventure, education, fun, friendship, life lessons, and contribution all in one trip (I usually feel lucky just to get my luggage back.)

I think the view that things will change back once you leave is definitely wrong - touching people always changes them, even if they don't entirely preserve your bookkeeping system. They have new views of Americans and some new ideas for the future - and they have seen people who care about them.

Newswise, we are eager for your return. Our three grandbabies are perfect. We had a good turnout on Feb 13th with our second annual blood drive - saw lots of friends in Charlotte and had some remote donations, including Tim, Katie, and your mom. We are mixing hard work with weekends following Ben's rugby matches. See you soon.

BP said...

Hooray! Glad you're coming home, can't wait to see you. I should also let you know that my sister is moving into Richmond right around the time you come back. Only slightly related, but perhaps you'll run into her in town.

Safe travels.
Brian

Lapsarian said...

Ditto what everyone else said, and also this: what part of Europe are you going to be in? If you're interested in/near dublin, gimme a shout, we'll grab some good beer and catch up :)

--EEBS

Advocate said...

Just want to mention Jeff, Jordan and I will be in Budapest & Prague March 15 to 24...any overlap???? Would buy you dinner! And when you're back stateside, we'll leave the light on for ya in Vienna, VA.