Monday, February 11, 2008

How's the Weather?

I had a funny conversation about the weather the other day. It began with the guy asking me about the weather at home right now. I tried to explain to him how unpredictable it is in Virginia so you never know how it's going to be outside until you are outside. His response: "but don't you have people that predict the weather for you"? I said yes, but they frequently get it wrong. He seemed confused and told me that we should take after the weathermen in Ghana because they are always right. I laughed and told him that I could be a weatherman in Ghana; it's not hard!

I arrived in Ghana in September, the middle of the rainy season, and it strongly resembled a Virginian August, but perfectly consistent. The rain tapered off around October and completely quit by November. It was then that it started getting dusty--REALLY dusty. By the time I returned from Ethiopia in January, it was possible to look directly at the sun, without sunglasses, at any point during the day; it just looked like a large yellow moon. The blue sky completely disappeared, as did the horizon (no pretty sunrises or sunsets, the sun just dissapeared around 5:30), and we were left with a thick grey haze in every direction. This is the effect of the Harmattan, a wind carrying dust from the Sahara. I knew the dry season would be dusty, but I had no idea what it would really be like. Everything (including my skin, clothes, hair) was coated in dirt. It was impossible to stay clean. The perk was that the temperature dropped. Though it still got plenty hot during the day, the mornings were cool enough for a jacket. But the cool mornings lasted less than a month.

You may notice I'm using the past tense. A few days ago, I saw the outline of clouds in the sky. The next day, the clouds were clearer, and on Friday, it rained! I happened to be walking home from Logba (a town 5 km away) at the time, so I was caught completley off guard and got drenched. The road went from dusty to a river of mud in minutes and the air cleared immediately. When the rain stopped, the sun was bright and the sky was blue. We basically went from dry season to rainy season in 45 minutes. Since then, it has rained a bit, but nothing like that first day. The temperature is climbing and the sun has returned to it's brutally hot state.

So that's the story here; what's yours?

9 comments:

Mom said...

Hey Becca,
I have returned home from our week away in California, where we had PERFECT weather. No dust storms, even though their weather is typically unpredictable: sunny,warm, very windy, rainy and cold can happen all in the same day. We only had sunny skies, very cool mornings and warm afternoons. Hung out with lots of golfers and famous people and now am trying to adjust to life in the real world.
You have some more fans of your blog...from Dina Eastwood, (Clint's wife) and her 12 year old daughter Morgan, AT&T folks, and cute young guys working at the Pebble Beach Lodge. Your influence is spreading. By the way, did I email you that Clint Eastwood has a passion for monkeys?? Keep up the good work, keep telling them you need a named trail, and have loads of fun. Love you lots and miss you.
Mom

Sarah Collier said...

Becca, it was 80* here last week! Today it has been in the 30s all day. Typical Virginia weather. We're going to the circus on Thursday for the annual Chandler Valentine's Day date -- I'm so excited to partake in the tradition. We'll miss you! I'm sure Katie will take lots of pictures of elephant poop for you, though :o)

Unknown said...

Hi Becca! I have not been able to read your blog or post in a while, but I often think, what is Becca doing in Africa right now? I hope everything is going well. I will have to read through your blog and catch up on your adventures soon. Keep up the good work!

Megan

Mo said...

Hey Becca!
I'm so excited about your email!!! :-)
The weather in Holland is around 5* (Celcius hae). We just had some nice and sunny (but still cold) days and it was really nice to be outside in the sun again! The birds were singing like it was spring time.
Next week saturday I will leave to Finland for a week. It is much colder over there. It will be around -12* in day time. And around -20* during the nights... I guess I don't have to bring my shorts.
Tell the people in Tafi I said hi.
Love, Mo

Unknown said...

Wow! Consistant weather...that exists???? Sorry gotta run...coworker brought in donuts...the perks of my awesome office life! I heart you!!!

Bailey Thomson said...

Was in shorts two days ago, in my parka and scarf today. It's hard to keep my sundresses and sweaters together in my closet. I NEED the warm weather to get here soon.

And you- you should get here soon, too. Miss you a lot. Tons of new news.

Also, I wish I were more surprised by the fact that your mom mentions Clint Eastwodd and family casually in her comment. But who does that? I should have expected it. Your family's so fly.

Love, Bailey

Unknown said...

Becca,

Glad to hear that you made it to a game in the Nations Cup. I get my news from BBC and it was highly covered so I halfway expected to see a skinny white girl with cornrows show up in a picture... Sorry to hear about the Cameroon game, from what I read the country was on verge of riots aftrerward :) Hope things continue to go well as your journeys come to a close and look forward to seeing you in the VA soon.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Becca, The weather is always nice in Florida--- sometime nicer as we do get alot of wind. We are in a drought right now but we had 1 inch of rain yesterday & THEY are predicting rain tomorrow.But who knows. I love you & miss you.MaMa Jack