Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Price is Right.

So here is the rundown of "what stuff costs". For the mathematicaly-inclined among you, the exact exchange rate right now is $1 USD = .932 New Ghana Cedi (pronounced seedy). I'm going to use the new currency because it is very similar to ours, but I'll do the first few with the old currency in parenthesis.

1 loaf of bread: .50 (5,000 old cedis)
1 bottle of Fanta: .35 (3,500)
(the bottles are 300mL glass and you are always asked to drink it and return the empty
bottle so they can get their money back for it)
1 liter of Petrol: .93 (9,300)
1 hour on the internet: .60 (6,000)
a plate of chicken and rice at a restaurant: 2.00 (20,000)
1 orange: .05
(they sell them everywhere with the outermost skin peeled. To eat them, you cut off the top,
squeeze the juice into your mouth, then rip it apart and eat the inside. No utensils, no mess,
so great!)
3 bananas: .10
3 apples: .50
1 pineapple: .60
1.5-liter bottle of water: .70
.5-liter satchet (bag) of water: .04
a hand-sewn outfit: 7.00
(this includes a traditional top, skirt/pants, head piece, and 'baby wrap'. I should have mine
by the time I post next...)
a 15- minute phone call to the US: 4.00
1 snickers bar: .90
1 disgusting spicy peanut butter thing: .10
a night in a hostel in a city: 6.00
overnight bus from Kumasi to Accra: 4.50
(about 5-6 hours)
a 1-hour tro-tro ride: .90
a bowl of Fufuo: .10
(a traditional dish made of pounded plantains- a dough-like substance- eaten with a soup.
There's no chewing, you just kind of slurp it down. And there's no utensils, you use only your
right hand.)

a medium cheese pizza: 5.20
(only in international restaurants in big cities)

Prices can certainly vary depending on what city or town I am in and if I am in a market or a store (there is a lot of bartering in the markets but prices are usually fixed in the stores) but that gives you a good idea of the things I buy and what they cost. I eat LOTS of fruit and bread and water. I have only had the pizza once. We always travel by tro-tro and stay in cheap hostels. I am also getting a pretty good connection-basis so frequently when we travel we are able to stay for free. All of this puts my weekly spending at a very low average.

I have some pretty big plans coming up. This weekend we are going to Cape Coast to walk on "Africa's only canopy walk", spend the night in a stilt village, and go to a reggae party on the beach. Next week, Froukje (who we all call Mo) and I are packing up from Mampong and traveling north...All the way north...into Burkina Faso for two weeks. (Note: for those who were in Maine with RRCB last year, Padgett gave me the award: "most likely to live in Ougadougou, Burkina Faso". Well, I'm going there. Good work, Padge!)

We will return in November to recieve a friend from home who will travel with us back to the volta region. The three of us are planning on living and volunteering at Tafi Atome, the monkey sanctuary, until Christmas. Then I will return to Mampong and the babies.

Hopefully I will be able to post again before we take off on this big adventure!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Seeing you in the traditional clothing, with your new hair style...will we believe it? Your weekly allowance is an inspiration. think I'll not spend any money today. Oh Wait, doesn't work in the US the same way.

How is the photo taking? Have you used much film? I'll be checking the website to see all those places you're going.

We're making our Christmas plans for the family. Jane and I are long into conversation about the fun we will have, how Christmas will be different with you gone, but with adding all the new babies. Tell me where you think you will be for Christmas. If you have the chance to get a nativity for me, I would love to add it to my collection.

Love you loads.
Mom

Padge said...

I cannot explain how excited I am that you are going to Ougadougou!!!! Have a blast! We miss you and are thinking about you and praying for you!
-Padgett

Dad said...

Hmm...nine disgusting spicy peanut butter things or one Snickers bar...what to do...what to do?



Love, Dad

Meem said...

This past weekend Betty and Mark honored Katie and Tim with a wonderful engagement party. So awful not to have you there. Your new dress and
hairdo would have made a big hit. Much fun.
Just received your latest letter and pictures. I was fascinated with the kitchen and preparation of one meal and even more fascinated that you liked it. You are having such a wonderful adventure.
I love reading all your blogs. Love, MEEM

Heather Gammon said...

Hey Becca!
I am a member of River Road and my mom, Page Gammon, sent me the link to your blog. I have been reading information on the Voluntary Child Aid program and plan on applying to go this coming summer. Any suggestions? Helpful hints? How is the program itself? And how many days a week do you work? Your blog has made me evern more excited than I already was! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!
-Heather