Thursday, October 25, 2007

More travel adventures

Last weekend (which really started on Wednesday) Froukje and I went Southwest. We began at Kakum National Park, swinging like monkeys along the canopy walk. I was hoping for a bit more of an adrenaline rush from it, since many people step out or get to the first platform and must crawl back, but it was simply fun for us.

The next night we made it out to Nzulezo, a stilt village WAY off the beaten track. Nobody knows exactly why this village was built on stilts in a lagoon an hour canoe ride from shore, but it happened over 400 years ago and people still live there (nobody knows why that is, either). They have a population of about 500 and I think very little has changed for them over the last 4 centuries. The most peculiar part, however, is that their main means of survival is farming. No, I didn't say fishing- Farming. A 3-hour canoe ride takes them to their farms, where most men in the village work. I will let the picture tell the rest of the story; it is too much to describe on a blog.

We slept in their guest house and headed back towards civilization the next morning. 1 canoe ride, 3 tro-tros, and 7 hours later, we were lying on the beach in the touristy Cape Coast resort area. It is a beautiful beach, as long as you don't look too closely, as it's actually covered in trash. And the water is pleasant, as long as you don't go in past your knees, as the brutal undertow will sweep you away...

When we arrived back in Mampong Sunday night, our new outfits had arrived! This is one of two outfits I had made of the same fabric. With the hair and the clothes, all I need is a little darker tan and I will be truly Ghanian!

And now to answer a few miscillaneous questions I have gotten.

The new baby has a name, though I can't pronounce it and haven't found somebody to spell it for me. Apparently she has a father, who named her. Her mother died in childbirth.

I absolutely feel like Richmond is a fictitious place, it doesn't seem possible from this perspective. At times this is daunting, but I enjoy the idea of "home" being transient, and being forced to create a new association or definition for it.

It took about a month for my body to get used to the food, but now I absolutely love it. We have gotten more adventurous (and are learning what will be spicy and what won't), so I will try just about anything on the street. Yesterday, while we waited for 6 hours for a bus that wouldn't leave, we ate rice with chicken and stew, something that resembled peanut brittle, fried egg on delicious bread (they fry it right there on the street), roasted plantains, oranges, and a home made cake-type thing women frequently sell. It covered 3 meals and total cost each of us about 2 cedis. So no need to worry about Becca being hungry any more!

I have not yet talked about music here, which a few of you have noticed and asked about. I haven't talked about it, because I haven't found anything worth talking about. The music I hear on a daily basis is so loud it constantly bases out the speakers, and is usually bad 90's rap music from the states. I have heard the best place to hear traditional music is at funerals and festivals, neither of which I have been able to attend yet. As soon as something worth talking about comes up, I will post it immediately! I know there is a traditional drumming group at Tafi Atome, so hopefully I will hear it and, even better, learn it, when I am out there.

I am off to Burkina Faso tomorrow- I won't be able to post pictures again until we are back in Mampong November 11th (ish) but I will try to post again soon.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Its been fantastic travelling with you from my desk at work. I love how you continue to describe with feelings and details and not as a tourist going here and there. I half expect the next picture of you to look like Dr. Livingston or perhaps someone from Jumanji. Best of luck and enjoy your adventures!

Question: What are you going to be for Halloween? You seem to be already wearing your costume?

-Nathan

Krista said...

Becca, I agree with Nathan, Your tales have allowed me to travel outside my cubicle without ever leaving civiliziation. I must admit, when you talked about orphanage I was not very excited but can i tell you how jealous I am that you'll be working at a monkey santuary...that has to be the coolest job I've ever heard of!!!


Your tro tro experiences remind me simply of the NYC subway system. Crazy people packed in small quarters...very similar!

How's the twi coming along? are you understanding more of it? When you come home you can have a secret language that none of us understand!

I love your picture on the canopy. you could be in your own adventure movie!

You're not missing much around here. Regina's wedding is this weekend so we'll be sure to take a lot of pictures! We miss you. I was at 4410 last night watching the red sox game 1 of the world series and it just wasn't the same without you in that house!

Anyways...we love you and we miss you. Can't wait to read more about your travels as a temporary escape from my cubicle. PS both Zoesch and I love the hair (he just stopped by) We think it's going to look awesome in a bridesmaid dress!!!!

Love,
Krista

Mom said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress. Have the marriage offers continued to roll in? and glad the package was a hit for you. Yes, I do know what you like and what would be comfort food for you.

I continue to meet and see people who ask about you. If you are counting blog hits, they will continue to increase as everyone I talk to gets the site name.

Your words continue to convey happiness along with your adventure. Home is where you are, but home in Richmond misses you. Have you found a place yet to have turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and Va. country ham rolls on a Thursday? Maybe we can box up the leftovers.....

Friday night is our annual Maymont auction to raise lots of $$$. One of the high dollar items in the Live Auction is a trip to Africa. Thinking it might be interesting to,,, no, nevermind. This one is safari, not monkey sanctuary. Give Mo a hug for me. I feel like she is becoming another family member and we will want to meet her sometime.

Love you loads.
Mom

Dad said...

In anticipation of your bringing me home a Ghanian golf outfit in the same beautiful colors as your native dress, I will be sending you by separate cover the following measurements in inches: shoulder to shoulder, bust, waist, shoulder to hip straight down, shoulder to hip diagonally, hips, butt, hip to floor (or bottom of pants) straight down, and hip to floor/pants diagonally.

Love, Dad

Jane LL said...

Boxley here...news is mixed - California stopped burning, but many homes lost in the annual fires. Red Sox won the World (ok, USA) Series. The series did have three Japanese players and one guy with hair like yours. Llandis is cuter this week (see blog). It rained for the first time in two months here, washing our dead grass off the dirt.

Your travels sound familiar - long waits and bad seats and crowds and delays and suspicious food - mine just occur on American Airlines.

Your scenery is better. I have noted you have not written us in Twi yet, which must mean my attempts at Twi lessons didn't help you much. Keep working on it. Otherwise, your travel guide is great, and don't be afraid to write more. But I would not buy anything in any store with the word "Curse" in its title. And if you do, di ase or tq' ase rather than pay full price. Then run.

Meem said...

Love your dress and I am sure John will, too. He was with us for the party and is very excited about joining you. Have fun. Love, Meem

Unknown said...

"Richmond feels like a fictitious place."

I remember that feeling and it makes me smile. I can still feel it when I close my eyes and think about Kenya... like your whole life has been some sort of strange dream and you've just been abruptly woken up. I'm sure it's even more for you after this much time.

Well, I miss having you around here. Richmond is less fun without you. I'm starting to climb 10's now, and I'm psyched about it... and Q climbs have become my favorites. I've been projecting an overhanging Q9+ thats awesome! It's on the jut-out just to the right of the dihedral.

Still trying to figure out what the heck to do with myself after I finish academics in the spring. Missions, Pastoral Counseling, or Church Work. Thoughts?

Anyways, hope you're happy and all is well. Stay safe.

Oh, and try not to lose your ring this time. :-D

Love you,
Drew